Redshouldered Widow Euplectes axillaris
Ringing data entered by ringers (19 May 2003)
|Redshouldered Widow male, Wakkerstroom
||Redshouldered Widow female, Wakkerstroom
1. Numbers ringed with SAFRING rings, 1948-2002
- Total ringed: 4228
- First ringed: 1959/60 ringing year
- Trapping method: Mistnets
Number of Redshouldered Widows ringed per year with SAFRING rings
Note that a total of 323 (average 80.75 per year) were ringed in the period 1970-73; the individual year totals are not known.
2. Computerised records, 1975-2002
Note: electronic records sent by ringers were extracted; no attempt was made to computerise other records.
- Number of records: 638
- Ring sizes used: 23 with 2.3 mm, 2 with 2.5-4 mm, 223 with 2.8 mm, 358 with 3 mm, 28 with 3.3 mm, 4 with 3.5 mm rings
- Recommended ring size: 3 mm Stainless steel or Aluminium Alloy
- Top ringers: 42 ringers; top 5 ringers: Mr M Bowker (127), Prof SE Piper (105), Dr DN Johnson (59), Mr JMH Raijmakers (59), Mr AJ Botha (44)
- Bird age distribution: Unknown (32), Juvenile (4), Immature (27), Adult (553), 0-6 months (7), 6-12 months (12), 1-2 years (3)
- Bird sex distribution: Unknown (82), Male (290), Female (229), Possibly male (17), Possibly female (20)
- Markings: Metal only (638)
- Condition: Good (638)
- Birds ringed per region:
|KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa||381|
|Mpumulanga, South Africa||228|
|Eastern Cape, South Africa||5|
|Gauteng, South Africa||4|
|Free State, South Africa||1|
Map of localities where Redshouldered Widows have been ringed, 1975-2002
3. Biometrics and moult for Redshouldered Widows
Mass data (g)
Wing length (mm)
Primary moult March to May.
4. Recovery history (SAFRING's database)
- Number of recoveries: 6 recoveries and 69 recaptures
- Greatest distance: 47 km (BB14645)
- Greatest elapsed time: 8y 2m 5d (E09444)
- Causes of mortality of ringed birds: None
- Shot (2)
- Poisoned unintentionally (1)
- Collision with motor vehicle (1)
- Rest unknown
5. Ringing references
- Craig AJFK. 1978. Seasonal variations in the weights of Red Bishops, Redcollared Widows and Redshouldered Widows. Ostrich 49:153-157.
- Craig AJFK. 1982. Mortality rates of some South African Ploceidae. Ostrich 53: 54-57.
- Craig AJFK. 1983. Moult in southern African passerine birds: a review. Ostrich 54:220-237.
- Craig AJFK. 1992. The identification of Euplectes species in non-breeding plumage. BBOC 112:102-108.
- Craig AJFK. 1993. Geographical variation and taxonomy of the genus Euplectes (Aves, Ploceidae). Part II: the long-tailed widow birds. Journal of African Zoology 107:139-151.
- Craig AJFK. 1993. Are there common patterns of variation in bishop-bird Euplectes species? PAOC 8: 53-59.
- Craig AJFK & Manson AJ. 1979. Sex ratios among three Euplectes species in southern Africa. Ibis 121:224-227.
- Craig AJFK & Manson AJ. 1979. Moult of the Red Bishop and related species of Euplectes. Ostrich 50: 65-69.
- Craig AJFK & Manson AJ. 1981. Sexing Euplectes species by wing-length. Ostrich 52: 9-16.
- Craig AJFK & Villet MH. 1998. Sexual dimorphism and tail-length in widowbirds and bishopbirds (Ploceidae: Euplectes spp.): a reassessment. Ibis 140:137-143.