Bertram's Weaver Ploceus bertrandi
Ringing data entered by H.Dieter Oschadleus (9 June 2002)
1. Numbers ringed with SAFRING rings, 1948-2001
- Total ringed: 28
- First ringed: 13 February 1983
- Trapping method: Mistnets
Number of Bertram's Weavers ringed per year with SAFRING rings
2. Computerised records, 1948-2001
- Number of records: 28
- Ring sizes used: 24 with 3.0 mm, 4 with 4.3 mm rings
- Recommended ring size: 3.0 mm Stainless Steel
- Top ringers: 2 ringers; Rev S Lane (27), Mrs D Hanmer (1)
- Bird age distribution: Juvenile (7), Immature (5), Adult (12), 0-6 months (3), 7-12 months (1)
- Bird sex distribution: Male (10), Female (14), Possibly male (1), Possibly female (3)
- Birds ringed per region:
The 28 Bertram's Weavers were ringed at Mpingwe (Limbe), Malawi.
Map of localities where Bertram's Weavers have been ringed, 1948-2001
3. Biometrics and moult
Mass data (g) for adult Bertram's Weavers
Moult data - none in SAFRING's database
Lane (1995) suggested that birds moult during July and August in Malawi.
4. Recovery history
- Number of recoveries: 3 recaptures
- Greatest distance: 0 km
- Greatest elapsed time: 3 years 11.5 months (BC03209)
- Causes of mortality of ringed birds: Unknown
List of reported birds:
- 479320 was ringed as an adult male by S Lane on 29 November 1987 at Mpingwe (Limbe), Malawi. He recaptured this male at the same locality, 2 years 11 months after ringing.
- BC03209 was ringed as an adult male by S Lane on 25 November 1991 at Mpingwe (Limbe), Malawi. He recaptured this male twice at the same locality, 1 year 1 month later and again nearly 4 years after ringing.
5. Ringing references
- Lane, S. 1995. Ageing and sexing: Bertram's Weaver Ploceus bertrandi in Limbe. Safring News 24:51-52
- This paper is based on 33 captures of the species in the author's garden. Some of these records are not in SAFRING's database. Adult males have a black facial mask and an orange crown, while females have black heads. Juveniles have olive heads. Biometric data is presented.