Sociable Weaver Philetairus socius
Ringing data entered by ringers (1 July 2003)
1. Numbers ringed with SAFRING rings, 1948-2002
- Total ringed: 5935
- First ringed: 1950
- Trapping method: Mistnets, nestlings
Number of Sociable Weaver ringed per year with SAFRING rings
Note that a total of 16 (average 4 per year) were ringed in the period 1970-73; the individual year totals are not known.
2. Computerised records, 1975-2002
Note: electronic records sent by ringers were extracted; no attempt was made to computerise other records.
- Number of records:5986
- Ring sizes used: 5 with 643 prefix, 187 with 2.3 mm, 34 with 2.8 mm, 5253 with 3 mm, 153 with 3.3 mm rings
- Recommended ring size: 3 mm Stainless steel
- Top ringers: 40 ringers; top 5 ringers: Mr MD Anderson (1496), Dr R Covas (1473), Mr T Osborne (652), Dr GPJ Grobler (402), Prof TR Birkhead (395)
- Bird age distribution:Unknown (48), Nestling (1054), Juvenile (58), Immature (125), Adult (3788), 0-6 months (534), 6-12 months (76)
- Bird sex distribution: Unknown (5384), Male (111), Female (91), Possibly male (25), Possibly female (21)
- Markings: Metal only (2302), Colour rings (3497)
- Condition: Good (5789), Kept for expt before release (10)
- Birds ringed per region:
|Free State, South Africa||3430|
|Northern Cape, South Africa||1280|
Map of localities where Sociable Weaver have been ringed, 1975-2002
3. Biometrics and moult for Sociable Weaver
Mass data (g)
Wing length (mm)
Primary moult from March to September.
4. Recovery history (SAFRING's database)
- Number of recoveries: 1 recoveries and 4236 recaptures
- Greatest distance: 5 km (AE15974)
- Greatest elapsed time: 8y 1m 25d (BC34244)
- Causes of mortality of ringed birds:
- Reasons for death unknown (1)
5. Ringing references
- Oschadleus HD & Underhill LG. 2000. Analysis of ringing records at Witsand. Safring News 29:50-53.
FitzPatrick research at Benfontein farm.