Tel. 021 402 6911
The original academic hospital of the University of Cape Town (prior to 1937, when the Groote Schuur Hospital was built), situated in Green Point overlooking Cape Town harbour (and the new Victoria and Alfred Waterfront).
Despite its name, the hospital opened its doors in 1864, replacing the original Somerset Hospital in Chiapinni str., which has since been demolished.
The new section was opened in 1976 and has taken over most services. The original building has been declared a national monument.
Anaesthesia staff consists of a fulltime consultant and 3 rotating registrars.
Anaesthesia is provided for general, orthopaedic, gynaecological and obstetric surgery.
Return to Anaesthesia Dept. Home Page